Saturday 20 June 2009

Getting to Scotland

This post outline my trip to Scotland from Dunedin, New Zealand and is taken from handwritten notes that I made en route.

17/06/09 - Oakwood Manor, Auckland

I left Dunedin today but ran into a little problems at the airport. Yesterday, it snowed down to sea level in Dunedin, causing huge disruption including the closure of Otago Polytechnic where I work. When I got to the airport at Momona, flights were delayed due to ice on the runway. As a result myore flight left an hour late, and when I reached Auckland, I had missed my connection to Singapby 5 minutes! I am spending the night in a motel near the airport and will catch another flight to Singapore and then on to Frankfurt and Edinburgh tomorrow.

18/06/09 - Chanti Airport, Singapore

Today has been very eventful. I left the motel in Auckland this morning at 9.15 by shuttle and went straight to Auckland International Airport. At 10.05, I went to check in at Singapore Airlines and found that there were some problems. For some reason, their computer system wouldn't issue me my boarding pass due to missing my connection the day before. It took until 11.30am to get my boarding pass. Considering my flight was supposed to board at 11.25, it was quite stressful!

I arrived at Chanti Airport in Singapore at 6.30pm local time (10.30pm NZ time) and went straight to Lufthansa - no problems there and now I have until 10.25pm til I need to board my flight to Frankfurt.



19/06/09 - Frankfurt Airport, Germany

6am - Here I am in Frankfurt. It is about 6am local time (4pm NZ time) and I am just starting to think about finding a phone and calling Conway and the girls. The flight went well but to be honest, the food was horrible! I hardly ate a thing. After Chanti Airport and Singapore Airlines, the German service is a bit of a shocking contrast! Also, it has been really hard to find my way around Frankfurt Airport. Also, there were lots of kids on the Frankfurt flight - I really miss my girls!

7.30am - I haven't had much fun here. Passport control was a very unpleasant experience. I was searched by a woman as I came through, including having her hands put up my top, and a thorough investigation of my tiki. I then had to take my shoes off to be xrayed.

Flight LH4940 to Edinburgh - I am finally on my way to Edinburgh! I had a long, slow wait in Frankfurt Airport, from 5.30 til 11.40am, although it felt much longer! It is quite daunting to think that when I get to Edinburgh, I have so much to do. I am supposed to be meeting some people there this afternoon, but still have to get through the airport and then to the backpackers and get settled.

1 comment:

  1. so much to take in Kate. great to have this to watch your progress.
    Willie

    ReplyDelete